Occasionally it might happen that you return a book and then receive an overdue notice or we tell your child that the book is still checked out. My apologies! Our school library houses nearly 15,000 volumes, and 17,047 check outs have been logged since September. We use a web-based library management system to track books, but there are many factors that may cause errors:
- Books are mistakenly returned to the wrong library
- A student returns books to the shelf instead of checking them in
- The internet is down and the books must be circulated manually
- Dedicated parent and student volunteers mistakenly reshelve books without checking them in
- A sub or volunteer reads a record incorrectly
- The library is open to all and books just go missing
We send overdue notices home twice a year through your child’s classroom teacher. The first notices went out in January as friendly reminders of what is out. If something looks like an error, please contact me. A final notice will go home the last week of school. If books are lost or damaged this is the time to pay. The most important thing for me is that the students are reading and borrowing books. Any issue can be resolved.