The Multnomah County Health Department is currently offering schools in the Portland area the option to hold an on-site clinic to provide lead screenings to their constituents with children under 6 and to pregnant women. Early identification of lead exposure is the best way to protect against the damage caused by lead poisoning by limiting future exposure.
Lead can be found in a variety of sources. These include:
- Paint in homes built before 1978.
- Water pumped through leaded pipes.
- Imported items including clay pots.
- Certain consumer products such as candies, make -up and jewelry.
- Certain imported home remedies.
If there is enough interest, TIS will host a clinic for the Health Department on our campus. Screening would be after school and involves a quick finger-prick.